2018-2019 Shepard Boy’s Golf

Tucker Carter, Staff Reporter

With a sixth place finish in the SSC Red Division and a proud second place finish at the Argo Invitational, Shepard Boy’s Golf had a fairly good season.

The team’s top performance was against Thornton Fractional South.  With a season low of 195 strokes shot among four of our players over nine holes, the varsity golf team defeated the T.F. South Rebels.

The team is now in preparation for their regional match in which six golfers will compete on Tuesday, October 2 in regionals at Silver Lakes Golf Course in Orland Park. There are high hopes for an even better finish here than in the SSC red division match.

The team’s top golfer is, junior, Gavin Quinlan who finished in sixth place in conference at Cog Hill in Lemont.

Quinlan qualified for sectionals as a sophomore. According to coach Bill Neubauer, if he plays up to his potential, he could repeat this for his junior year and may even have an outside chance of qualifying for state. In order to qualify for state he has to make the cut. In other words all golfers who score under a certain score will move on to sectionals. A year ago the cut line was 98 and Quinlan shot a 96. 

“A year ago, I was super happy to be making it to sectionals as a sophomore, when I was going against mostly juniors and seniors,” Quinlan stated. ” This year I feel confident for regionals coming of shooting an 87 at conference.” I expect the cutline to be lower this year because it is an easier course, but I am still pretty confident that I can make it to sectionals again this year.” 

The team is a close knit group of guys, including Quinlan, Dan Hoge, Zac Walthers, Logan O’Leary, Tucker Carter, Phil Boersma, and Khari Lee, who really like to golf according to assistant coach Neubauer. However, he would like to see them be more consistent in preparation for regionals.