Girls Cross Country

Lilly King, Staff Reporter

The girls cross country team finished third in the South Suburban Red Conference.

The future looks bright because they return two sectionals qualifiers next year.

Kate McGovern(junior) and Cassia Washington(sophomore) both advanced to sectionals after their performances at regionals last Saturday at Midlothian Meadows. The two finished 35 and 38 respectively.

Kate McGovern finished 72 at sectionals at Midlothian Meadows on October 27. Washington was unable to compete. McGovern’s time of 20:27 was her best race of the season.

Madzia Myrda, the girls top runner, was  sidelined for most of the season including conference and regionals with a foot injury, and her absence was felt by the team as a whole.

Despite some setbacks, their team did accomplish its goal of finishing in the top three at conference. They did fall slightly short of their goal to qualify for sectionals as a team.

The Varsity team not only finished third overall at conference, but had two All-Conference runners McGovern(Junior) and Washington(Sophomore).

Mcgovern earned Varsity All-Conference all three years she has run cross country and if she can repeat that next year she could become only the second Shepard runner to  accomplish that honor all four years.

Another promising note for the Astros future is that the junior varsity team finished second in the conference.

Sophomore Kate Daguio who finished third overall and Bella Carbajal, who finished tenth overall earned conference medals on the frosh/soph level.

(Varsity Girls Cross Country poses at Conference)

Coach Angie Ochoa was satisfied with the teams overall effort. The results were no better than what Ochoa  expected. She cited the leadership of McGovern and Carolina Lozano. “They are able to display what commitment, good attitude and preporation are all about., stated Ochoa.

Yadira Eck(junior) and Bella Carbajal(sophomore) who were able to run their best times of the season at regionals.

Although there have been some setbacks this season, seniors Myrda, Jyana Washington, and Lozano are still making the most of their final year.

Colleges have been looking to recruit Myrda, but she is looking to attend the University of Wisconsin-Madison where she probably won’t compete.

Myrda is going there for their physical therapy program.  Lozano is considering running at Moraine Valley in the fall.

1 Comment

One Response to “Girls Cross Country”

1. Morgan m on November 2nd, 2018 10:05 am

Very informative and interesting !!

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Girls Cross Country

Sports

Boys Cross Country

• Girls Cross Country

News

You’re Not Alone

• Girls Cross Country

Feature

Shepard Welcomes News Teachers

• Girls Cross Country

Sports

Girls Golf

• Girls Cross Country

Feature

Día de Los Muertos

• Girls Cross Country

News

Nightmare on Ridgeland Avenue

• Girls Cross Country

Sports

Boys Golf

• Girls Cross Country

Sports

Shepard Coed Cheer Prepares for a State Title Run.

• Girls Cross Country

Feature

AFJROTC Welcomes New Cadets With Open Arms

• Girls Cross Country

News

The Cost of College

Girls Cross Country