• March 14Shepard Family Raises Over $80,000 for St. Baldricks

• March 4Shepard Skaters Bring Home the Gold!!

• February 19Wrestler Sherman Dixon Places 4th at State!!!

Young Astro Runners Gel As a Team

Back to Article
Back to Article

Young Astro Runners Gel As a Team

Nicholas Wysocki and Tucker Carter, Staff Reporter

The Alan B. Shepard Boys cross country team performed up to the expectations of coach Troy Walker this year at their regionals and conference competitions.

Last year’s struggles at conference were truly proven to be overcome this year. The team advanced to regionals, and even sectionals, making Walker proud. “I am very proud, we grew more mature but still have some growing to do”

Top runner, Evan Jamrozy surpassed expectations with the seventh fastest three mile time in the history of Shepard while securing an individual conference win along-side Astro all-conference runners Dalvin Humphrey and Jackson Sima.

But there’s no I in team.  A group effort is what advanced this team to conference and regionals, living up to their potential as a team.

The Astro’s Boy’s Cross Country team, this year, finished out their season in a very successful way. The team, along with their coaches, were “thrilled to win conference and to advance to sectionals as a team,” according to coach Walker, as sectional advancement was this season’s goal.

At sectionals however, the team did quite well but did not quite make the cut for state, coming in at fifth place at Midlothian Meadows Forest Preserve, finally bringing the season to a close.

Sandburg is the best team in the area however in-conference Reavis and Eisenhower have posed the greatest threat to the cross country team in the past. This year though, the Astros were able to overcome these obstacles on their path to victory. However this does not ensure anything for next year.

Jamrozy this year placed tenth at sectionals, missing the cut for state by the slim margin of just 3 places. This is a phenomenal performance coming out of the Astros Boys Cross Country program however this certainly increases the pressure for next season to surpass this year’s performance and progress even further next year.

Overall, the results of the season were quite satisfactory. The team ran their best and to the potential and that truly helped them to shine this season.

Next year, however, the team will have high expectations to live up to, following up such a successful season. This future, though, is looking quite bright with runners such as Jamrozy and Sima set to return, and hopefully repeat, next year.