College Process Begins with FAFSA

Back to Article
Back to Article

College Process Begins with FAFSA

Devinee Bowen, Staff Reporter

For many seniors this is one of the toughest times of the year. College is just around the corner and it’s the start of a new chapter. Choosing your major, picking a college, did you apply for scholarships? These are all things you seniors must really think about.

FAFSA is a great place to start the college choice process. FAFSA is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid and will determine the best financial plan for your family. It’s a free application and it is a great way to save money when going into college.

Joining in with FAFSA, you can also apply for a Pell Grant. Pell Grants are included in your FAFSA application but it is not mandatory. Many people suggest applying for the Pell Grant
because again it’s free and they can offer up to almost $6,000 in student applications.

Pell Grants also don’t need to be repaid but your family income has to meet a specific criteria. FAFSA and Pell Grants go hand and hand with each other. Your FAFSA application will be reviewed and if your family income and family status meet the criteria you will be considered for the Pell Grant even if you don’t apply for it.

Your family as a whole must be making a specific amount of money each year in order to meet criteria. You can also meet criteria if you’re a U.S. citizen, have a highschool diploma or G.E.D, and are going for a bachelor degree or certificate.

After your FAFSA is reviewed and if your standards meet for the Pell Grants as well, FAFSA will send your financial information to the Pell Grants and from there they will determine how much money in grants you can receive.

For FAFSA and Pell Grants you must reapply every year you are enrolled in school. Your applications will be looked over again and your financial aid could be changed.

After college, majority of students and families are in debt and paying off college for years.

FAFSA and Pell Grants are the perfect opportunity to minimize your student debt and pay for college at a cheaper cost.