How are your New Year’s Resolutions Going?

Lilly King, Staff Reporter

The New Year’s is here! And so are the resolutions! A resolution is a decision in which you are determined to do or not to do something. Most people make their resolutions at the beginning of the year in hope to improve their life in the new year. New Year’s resolutions occur mostly in the Western Hemisphere and a little in the Eastern Hemisphere.
Most resolutions are made to get rid of an undesired trait that they have, similar to previous years the most common New Year’s resolution is to lose weight, exercise more, and get organized.
I asked a few Astros in my journalism class about their New Year’s resolutions. Out of 14 students only six of them did not have a New Year’s resolution, while the other eight did.
Most of their resolutions consisted of bettering themselves, focusing more on themselves, being happier, sticking with hobbies that make them happy, or even aspiring to do better in school. Although eight students made a New Year’s resolution only six of them have been able to stick with it.
The two that weren’t able to follow through with their resolutions, explained it was due to being distracted by social media or it was because the goal was very difficult and that caused them to have an incomplete resolution.
The six student who were able to continue their resolutions explained that they were able to keep these resolutions due to a strong reason for why they were doing it: their friends motivate them, they stay away from social media, they set smaller goals, it become a routine for them, and they are doing what works best for themselves.
Similar to our journalism class a website called Journal of Clinical Psychology did a study on New Year’s resolutions. Out of the thousand plus people that make these resolutions, only about 46% of people are able to follow through with their resolutions.
One recommendation made by a website called Go Skills to help motivate you to keep your New Year’s resolutions is to prepare yourself for change. Also make sure to set a goal that motivates you; be specific and don’t be afraid to break a big goal into smaller goals. Those are just some helpful tips to hopefully stay out of that 46%.
Those were just a few tips on ways to stick with your New Year’s resolution and also some ideas your fellow Astros have used so they could also continue with their resolutions.