• March 14Shepard Family Raises Over $80,000 for St. Baldricks

• March 4Shepard Skaters Bring Home the Gold!!

• February 19Wrestler Sherman Dixon Places 4th at State!!!

The Not so Scary SAT

Alexis Delos Santos, Staff Reporter

From meeting new people to joining different sports and clubs, high school affects each and every one of us in numerous ways. Though no matter what path we take in our high school lives we all must face one obstacle: the SAT.

It may seem scary to most of us, but the SAT is merely a test that’s based off of current knowledge or skills we may already possess. This nation wide test was originally created by the College Board to help future high school students enhance their academic knowledge so that they could become more successful in their college years.

Nicole Sonne, an English teacher here at Shepard said, “Universities or colleges want to see that you have acquired the skills necessary in high school that will ensure your success in college. SAT scores are also used for placement purposes and to choose candidates for scholarship opportunities.”

So in order to help students practice and do their best for the upcoming SAT, Shepard is offering many activities that could help prepare them or give them an understanding of what kind of questions will be on the SAT.

Associate principal Jen Pollack stated, “The Junior Advisory Program’s main goal is to provide an opportunity for students to become familiar with the SAT and to use Khan academy to set personalized goals and practice activities to improve SAT scores.”

Students have the option to use Khan Academy whenever they really want so that they could get more practice time to prepare and increase their knowledge. Learning some test preparation strategies can also be useful.

“We also partner with Excel Edge to offer an after school SAT preparation program, but there is a monetary cost for students to attend Excel Edge,” stated Pollack.

Also, if students would like further practice for the SAT beyond Shepard, they could buy SAT prep books or even participate in other preparation classes similar to Excel Edge.

The process of taking the SAT may not be as difficult as you think. It is actually fairly similar to the process of taking the PSAT back in October. It may feel excruciatingly long and very difficult, but don’t let your fear and anticipation get to you!

As long as you do your best, practice, and have motivation you’ll do great. But if students are not happy with their score they can always retake the SAT, you can ask your junior workroom teacher or look on the Shepard website for more info on that.

Sonne’s 3-fold advice for the SAT:

1. Prepare! Practice skills, memorize your non-calculator formulas, sleep well the night before, and on testing day, bring your ID, pencils, and the appropriate calculator.
  2. Take your time and read all instructions/questions carefully.
  3. Never leave a question blank— that’s just you throwing your points away.