Activities Impact Students on Many Levels

Nadia Amoah, Staff reporter

Some students worry that participating in extra curricular activities will take away too much time from their schoolwork, which can hurt their grades. However, research shows that extracurricular activities can actually improve your grades and your outlook on school in general!

Participating in activities that you are passionate about can increase your brain function, and help you concentrate and manage your time better, which con ultimately lead to higher grades.

High endurance sports, for example, it will train you to focus and build stamina in the face of intense difficulty. This gives you an advantage when it comes to studying and taking exams.
Studies show that those who all show that students who participate in activities usually have higher grades, more positive attitudes toward school and higher academic aspirations.

When you participate in multiple different activities, you’ll get the opportunity to explore a range of interests and unlock passions you never knew you had.Plus, diversifying your interests and can broaden your world view.

Think about it this way: if you join a philosophy club you’ll begin to look at the world through the eyes of a budding philosopher. You’ll begin to question everything and anything you see or hear, which may annoy your friends a bit but will also help you think more critically and not take everything at face value.

The more you achieve success through activities you’re passionate about, the more your self confidence will improve.

For example, let’s say you’re really good at math and your teacher encourages you to get involved in competitions. You join the school team and start training. During the process you realisz how fun math can be and how talented you actually are, which gives you confidence a massive boost.

Working hard and mastering new skills in a fun, relaxed sometimes competitive setting allows you to be successful without the pressure of getting a good grade. Once your confidence improves, you’ll be more open to taking risks in all aspects of your life.

Making friends can be hard but one of the easiest ways to make friends is through extracurricular activities! Each extracurricular you engage in provides you with another opportunity to expand your social network, which will also greatly benefit you when you’re looking for a job.

It’s called networking Plus you will make friends in your extracurricular activities. More friends often times leads to more involvement.  For example, if you make a few friends doing community service at school you might decide start a volunteer club together and really make an impact in your community. Which of course has benefits and starts something positive.

Activities give you something to do aside from school. On top of all of the benefits of extracurricular activities we already talked about, one of the greatest advantages extracurricular activities give you real world skills.
These skills include:

* Goal setting
* Teamwork
* Time management
* Prioritisation
* Problem solving
* Analytical thinking
* Leadership
* Public speaking
The more you push yourself in your extracurricular activities the more you will develop these skills. Develop teamwork, problem solving and analyze
Each and every step will teach you a new skill you can use for the rest of your life.

Without much previous work experience, one of the only ways hiring managers can assess your ability and work ethic comes through extra curricular activities.

Finally universities care about your extracurricular activities? In fact extracurricular activities and leadership account for about 30% of your application. So with that being said push to get involved around Shepard.