• March 14Shepard Family Raises Over $80,000 for St. Baldricks

• March 4Shepard Skaters Bring Home the Gold!!

• February 19Wrestler Sherman Dixon Places 4th at State!!!

Speech Ends With a Shout

Emily Jordan, Feature Editor

The Shepard speech team peaked a little early this season breaking in nearly every event at the Eisenhower regional on their way to a fifth place finish. The Astros were unable to qualify anyone for state at sectionals, so the season came to an end after having competed since October.  

The Regional team included Lavontae Morrow in dramatic interpretation and dramatic duet acting, Celestia Martinez in Poetry, Meagan Ruger-Smith in radio speaking, Tyler Piccle-Ludwig in special occasion speaking, Max Szykowny in humorous interpretation and original comedy, Aniyah Clemons in dramatic duet acting, William West-Lee Singleton IV in humorous duet acting, Patty Wrobel on humorous duet acting, Yelena St. Clair in extemporaneous speaking and impromptu speaking, Hector Cabrera in informative speaking, Esma Tantawi in oratorical declamation, and Shea Fitzgerald in prose reading.

The Regional Champs included Meagan Ruger-Smith, Yelena St.Clair, Patty Wrobel and William West-Lee Singleton, Aniyah Clemons and Lavontae Morrow, Max Szykowny, and Shea Fitzgerald.

Sophomore Meagan Ruger-Smith took first in radio speaking. “Having the team scream when they called my name was the best feeling of my life. I knew everyone had my back and it was super uplifting. It was really nice to spend time with this group of friends and it was really fun,” said Ruger-Smith.

Another first place was sophomore Yelena St.Clair in extemporaneous speaking.

In humorous duet acting, sophomore Patty Wrobel and junior William West-Lee Singleton IV placed second.

“Placing at any tournament throughout the entire speech season is a momentous occasion. However, placing at regionals is at a much higher level as you finally see all your hard work pay off,” stated Singleton.

Sophomore Aniyah Clemons and junior Lavontae Morrow took fourth in dramatic duet acting. Lavontae Morrow also took fourth in his second event, dramatic interpretation.

“It was super fun competing and watching my friends place,” stated Morrow. “It was an amazing environment and I’m so glad I got the chance to compete.”

In humorous interpretation, Max Szykowny took fourth place. Shea Fitzgerald, a freshman, placed third in prose.

The advancing competitors have been actively practicing in preparation for their next competition, nearly daily.

The Shepard speech team competed at Sectionals on February 9, led by coach Pam Peters. Sectionals occurred at Thornton Township High School in Harvey, Illinois. Despite no advancing state competitors, Peters expresses her gratitude and pride for the Shepard Speech team- and is excited to compete again next year.