2019 Polar Plunge

Back to Article
Back to Article

2019 Polar Plunge

Kyle Reynolds, Staff Reporter

On Saturday, March 9, students, family, and friends gathered together at Leisure Lake in Joliet to show their love for the Special Olympics Illinois.

For the 2019 Polar Plunge, the Shepard team consisting of 52 staff and students had raised $15,000, this puts the total in the last three years over $36,000 for this great organization.

Each individual was in charge of donations to their personal pages, as well as students donating and buying wristbands to attend the assembly.

“The plungers worked hard to spread awareness and raise money in the month leading up to the plunge,” said Ashley Lythberg, a teacher at Shepard who also plunged.

Once the Shepard team arrived at Leisure Lake, all dressed up in Hawaiian themed outfits, they ran out and dove into the freezing cold water. The team won the most spirited team award for the second year in a row for their appearance in all Hawaiian gear.

The team always has fun, and are proud of what they do. One plunger, Eric Muhammad said, “The Polar Plunge is amazing, I love these kids, and it’s always a good time.”

Plungers and viewers said that the “energy of the kids was great,” and “everyone was really excited and festive.”

The Shepard’s team of plungers was ran by Ashley Lythberg(special education teacher) and Scott Richardson (PE teacher).

The majority of the plungers are in the school POWER program, helping and spending time with those with disabilities; knowing they’re doing all this for a good cause warms their hearts.

All the participants wish to participate in this event again, they say “there’s nothing like the energy that there was on that day.”