Nissen Named New Athletic Director

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nissen Named New Athletic Director

Devinee Bowen, staff reporter

Assistant principal/dean Lindsey Nissen will switch roles next year and become the Shepard athletic director and activity director, replacing Curry Gallagher who will be working as a social worker at one of the District 218.

Gallagher, who is looking forward to his new role, is confident that he will be leaving his position in good hands.

“I have known Mrs. Nissen since I began working in the district in 2007,” said Gallagher. “We completed a masters program together, worked closely at Richards and now together on the Shepard administrative team for the last few years. First and foremost, Mrs.Nissen is an outstanding person and because of this she will make decisions when faced with difficult situations while being guided primarily on what is best for the kids.  In addition, I think the tenacity that she demonstrated as an athlete will serve her well in the various tasks required of the athletic and activity director.”

She was a three sport athlete at Eisenhower. She played volleyball on varsity for three years. She also spent four years on varsity bowling and softball. She played Division I softball in college at the University of Northern Iowa. During her time there she enjoyed competing against some of the best athletes in the game. She had the opportunity to play against gold medal winner pitcher Jenny Finch when Finch played at Arizona.

She was an outside hitter in volleyball and a outfielder in softball.

Some of her other high school athletic highlights include qualifying for state in bowling and participating in the home run derby at the state competition as a softball player. She was all conference in all three sports she played. Lindsey was All Area and an All State Nominee in softball, as well as being All State in bowling.

The success Nissen enjoyed in athletics will serve her well in her new role.

“I have always been involved in sports growing up and while in school,” stated Nissen. “Athletics has had a huge impact on my high school experience in a positive way and I hope to be able to mirror that experience to students here at Shepard High School.”

As athletic director she hopes to get more students involved in athletics and activities at Shepard. “By this I don’t just mean participating on the team or in activity, but also supporting our current teams and activities throughout their seasons,” stated Nissen.

She is looking forward to the challenges she will face. “Any new position has new challenges,”, said Nissen. “I will rely on surrounding myself with great people who can help navigate the challenges that come along with  being successful in a new position.”

Nissen was also active in other extracurricular activities including National Honors Society, Leo Club, Mu Alpha Theta, and yearbook club.

Nissen brings a variety of experience with her to her new position.