Badminton Finishes Fourth in S.S.C.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Badminton Finishes Fourth in S.S.C.

Badminton Varsity 2019

Badminton Varsity 2019

Badminton Varsity 2019

Badminton Varsity 2019

Lilly King, Feature Editor

Badminton’s season came to an end with a fourth place finish in the South Suburban Conference Red Division which was held at T.F. South.

Several Astros medaled at conference. Those players include for varsity: Yadira Eck who plays first singles and placed third. Nadia Hernandez placed third at third singles, Dalia Husien(senior) placed third at seventh singles, Erin Scott and Zanieh Ghanayem also placed third at third.  For J.V., Madison Stromsky placed third for eighth singles, Kaila Butvilas placed third at ninth singles, Kara Born placed third for tenth singles, Amanda Cinkus and Madison Stromsky placed third as well at second doubles, and Kaila Butvilas and Maddie Feldner placed first at fifth doubles.

Badminton Varsity Team 2019

Many people are not familiar with how badminton matches are scored.   Badminton matches go up to 21 but you must win by two and also the players cannot exceed 30.  To place the team as a whole in regular dual meets, one point is earned for each match win; there are 10 single matches and 5 double matches, therefore the score could go up to 15 if all matches are won.

Star player Yadira Eck(Junior), who plays first singles on varsity, was brought up to varsity last years as a sophomore.  Her and her partner (Megan Hill) made it to state which is held in Eastern Illinois University.  This year she also plays second doubles with Maddy Stepuszek(Junior), who has never played badminton up until this year, other than open gyms held throughout the school year.

Although this is Maddy’s first year on the team, she impressed Laura Schroeder (Varsity Coach) enough at tryouts to make the team.  Not only has she made the team, she has been able to keep up with her varsity teammates while continuing to better herself throughout the season – which according to Coach Schroeder, that is very difficult.

Another doubles team, specifically first doubles, that has been doing great this season is Makayla Paz and Nadia Hernandez(Senior).  They have been on varsity for three years and partners for all four years which is very rare.

Like every year, the team holds a summer camp to encourage more students to consider joining badminton.  It is open to grades 6 through 12.  The camp takes place on Wednesday nights from 6:30-8pm from June 12 to July 24, no camp on July 7.  All material, such as rackets and birds would be provided.

Coach Schroeder(varsity) has found this year particularly enjoyable, “I do have to say that this is the sweetest team that I have ever had the privilege to coach,” says Schroeder, “Win or lose, they always have positive attitudes and they never complain.  They are so friendly and welcoming.  It is truly a joy to coach them.”

Badminton Varsity Team 2019