McGovern and Lopez Named All Conference

Back to Article
Back to Article

McGovern and Lopez Named All Conference

Gavin Quinlan

The girls cross country team is a very successful program at Shepard and this year they were lead by some very impressive girls.

The team finished fourth overall at conference behind Reavis, Oak lawn, and Eisenhower. Two girls made all conference, senior Kate McGovern and sophomore Estefania Lopez.

Kate placed third overall and earned all conference for the fourth year in a row, becoming the second girl in ABS history to do so.

“Kate McGovern has been a great leader for us this year,” said coach Angela Ochoa. “She is very kind to the younger girls and goes out of her way to build relationships with them. She works hard everyday and is very dependable.”

Estefania Lopez finished eighth place with a season personal record of 21:21 on a tough course, and also earned all conference.

“Estefania has made huge improvements this season,” said coach Ochoa. “She worked hard all winter, spring and summer to earn her All-Conference honors. She is very dependable athlete.”

The frosh/soph team was lead by freshman Natalia Kiernia and Kassie Shepard. Natalia earned frosh/soph All-Conference honors with a third place overall finish in her race.

“Natalia is a smart and tough competitor and has a bright future for ABS cross country,” said Coach Ochoa.

Sadly, Kassie Shepard was sidelined with an ankle injury for much of the season.

“Kassie has been an amazing leader for a freshman,” said Coach Ochoa. “She is at every practice and competitions, even the ones where she isn’t competing. She has been great for the culture of our team. She makes sure that girls get going on their warm up and cooldowns.”

Coach Ochoa added, “She also makes sure that everyone is doing the extra stuff daily. She is a vocal leader and has made a positive impact on the team.”

The future looks bright with Kassie, Natalia, and Estefania. It looks like the girls cross country team isn’t gonna be slowing down in the future.

At regionals, Shepard missed qualifying for sectionals as a team by two points to Argo. The team was led by Kate McGovern with a 15th place finish in the field of 54 runners.

Estefania Lopez, Kate Daguio, Natalia Kiernia, Amina QUreshi and Meyah Sanchez had their best race of the season.

“It was a heartbreaker for sure,” said Coach Ochoa. “They ran personal bests and ran extremely tough competitive races. It just wasn’t enough to qualify for sectionals as a team.”

Senior Kate McGovern and Sophomore Estefania Lopez qualified for the sectional meet as individuals. They will be running on Saturday November 2 at 11:00 am. 

Sectionals is hosted by Hinsdale Central at Katherine Legge Park.