Unity club

Unity club is a club that shows appreciation towards other cultures and teaches about the culture and country. 

The club is fairly new to Shepard and is led by Naveen Shalabi.

Shalabi is very happy to have this club at Shepard, however the club needs some more members to make exciting big events happen.

I spoke with three students from the club and this is what they had to say.

Sarah Al-Rashideh said,“I really like doing the field trips because we would get more of a sense of the culture instead of just talking about it in the club.”

I’ve also asked Haley Patel’s opinion of the club and she replied,

“At first I didn’t know any information about the club, However it sounded interesting and is very fun to learn about other cultures.”

As you can see the students enjoy being in the club and it has a positive reaction. 

Lastly Alexis Oliver said, “It teaches me about different cultures and makes me aware other places besides the United States. And I love all the people that are in the club.” 

Shalabi addressed the impact she would like the club to have on the school and the student body.

The purpose of starting Unity Club is to promote a more unified student body along with breaking barriers between stereotypes and cultures,” stated Shalabi.

“I have students with backgrounds from all around the world sharing their cultural traditions, practices, dances and foods.  My students are very enthusiastic in promoting Unity Club (since it is still a brand new club) in trying to host events that are open to all staff and students. 

Last but not least I’ve asked her to explain some of the club’s activities and events.

“We choose one Saturday every month or so to visit the seniors at Providence Nursing Home.  The purpose of our visit is to inform and enlighten the senior citizens on all the different cultures that may surround them, as well as, presenting facts about customs and traditions from that country.  We choose a country and create a big poster board of interesting facts about that particular country. The poster board includes: the language they speak, the holidays they celebrate, the clothing they wear as well as the foods they eat.  We also bring in finger food or dessert that is typically eaten from that country. Then we conclude the presentation with the traditional dance of that country.” 

I will like to thank  Shalabi and the students for letting me interview them about the club. If you are interested in joining come to the MPR after schools on Thursdays or Monday’s.