Band Continues Rich Tradition

Shepard’s band placed third in Class 2A at Benedictine University hosted by Naperville Central High School. The band has been putting in consistent work this season in all their competitions.

Band members, Matt Rivera and Meagan Ruger-Smith received special recognition for their outstanding work as drum majors at Naperville. 

Band Director, Christopher Pitlik, stated,” Matt and Meagan have worked really hard to be a team and perform together. Their hard work goes all the way back to the Prom Major Camp they both attended this summer, which helped them prepare for this season of leading the marching band.”

Meagan Ruger-Smith is excited to be apart of the band and experience these opportunities. 

Ruger-Smith said,” It was my first competition as drum major and it really made me see the hard work of the band pay off.” 

The band placed third  in class 2A at the Chicagoland Marching Band Festival held at Wheeling High School as well. 

Pitlik likes the direction they are going, but the Shepard alum is always looking for improvement.

“The band needs to keep improving during practice in order to advance in competitions,” Pitlik states,” This year’s strengths lies in the students desire to improve each and every rehearsal. It has been very positive and makes the learning process continue to move forward.”

To be apart of the team the students and members need to strive for improvement. A lot of work needs to be put in for Shepard’s Marching Band. 

The band is a commitment and often is a lot more than just playing an instrument.

Ruger-Smith explained,”It’s a really great atmosphere and it may sound cliche but it really can be a family.” 

Senior and Band Major Matt Rivera explained,” In order to perform to the best of our abilities we practice a lot. Through the end of summer and through the fall season the band practices during band class and after school rehearsals.” 

Pitlik also added,”I encourage students to love music, perform with passion, and have a desire for excellence.”

In order to join band students need to come into both regular and honors performance band classes with playing experience from the Junior High level. Time and practice needs to be dedicated towards getting the halftime show at high quality.