Girls Volleyball Wins South Suburban Red

Back to Article
Back to Article

(Photo by Shepard Web page)

(Photo by Shepard Web page)

(Photo by Shepard Web page)

(Photo by Shepard Web page)

Chrishna Sneed, Staff Reporter

The Shephard girls volleyball team was the South Suburban Conference Red Division champions.

The team only lost one game in SSC play to lemont. The team finished with a score 26-10 overall record. In the playoffs they defeated Romeoville High School 23-25, 25-23, and 25-20. They fell short in the regional championship at Homewood Flossmoor to the host Vikings.

In their victory over Romeoville in the playoffs Astros were led by junior, Katie Rohe had 15 kills. Fellow junior Autumn Molehouse had 16 assists and seven kills. Leah Bylut, junior, had 11 digs, and sophomore Kaila Butvilas added 11 assists.

All four of those players return next year, so the future looks bright for the squad.

The Astos dominated conference foes during the month of October. They started with a straight set victory over District 218 rival Richards 25-19, and, 25-12 on October 1.

Sophomore Sophia Cerullo was player of the match in that contest. They Astros followed that up with a crushing defeats over Thornton Fractional North High School 25-15, and 25-12, and Evergreen Park 25-8, and 25-11.

Rohe was named outstanding player in victory over the Mustangs. The Astros conference loss came on October 17 to Lemont falling 25-14, and 25-14. They bounced back with tournament wins over Joliet Central in straight sets 25-16, 25-9 in Charleston They also had wins over Bishop McNamara, Kankakee, but fell to Manteno, and Charleston.

With a conference championship and most of the team returning the future looks very promising.