Fun Home play review

Aniyah Clemons, Editor

The Drama Club of performing arts displayed the play “Fun Home” on October 11th.
the performance premiered years ago,and the plot is more than extraordinary, something that cannot be simplified in a few words.

The play goes back and forth between young,young adult and adult Alison Beckdale who narrates or in her words “captions” the play herself.

Main characters include Alison , Alison’s father Bruce, her mother , and two younger brothers while it opens up to the audience about their family which from the outside seems to be perfect.

Bechdel structured her book as a series of recollections and musings that loop and circle chronologically round the main events, Bruce’s death and her own taking off.

Author Kron’s complex plan was to bring the author on stage because the 43-year-old Alison within the throes of making her book, to watch and inquire into her younger self—or, rather, selves, as scenes are acted out by 2 alternative Alisons, one a 9–10-year-old, and also the alternative a 19-year-old school college student.

However, “adult” Alison doesn’t simply observe; she virtually “walks through her physical recollections, and as they act on her, she goes from an adult to young adult and then back to an adult .” It’s a concept creates tension and raises the stakes for the audience, force into Alison’s explore for the reality regarding her family.

The breathtaking production, introduced us to Allison (as an adult) singing “it all comes back”, but quickly cuts to young Allison running around her soho home playing airplane.

The show continuously cuts back and forth from her as a child to young Adult Alison in college while older Alison narrators, she takes the audience through a series of heartfelt scenes most of which that bring us deeper into the chaotic behind “closed doors”, problematic turmoil with her family.

While still being able to have those adorable light heart moments. A personal favorite being her performance to “changing my major”. (19 year old) Alison while back at college her sophomore year has finally accepted herself for whom she truly is and fallen in love for the first time.

Many of the show’s subjects are dark, from suicide to self hatred to burned out family values,however what shines brilliantly throughout is that the bravery of Alison’s determination to grasp her past and her family, in spite of what recollections she uncovers she remains positive with her sun shinny moments like : a “commercial” for the funeral parlor that she and her brothers produce (the “Come to the Fun Home”);a flash of realizing a mysterious connection with a butch lesbian restaurant delivery lady (“Ring of Keys,“) a moment of acceptances when young adult Alison brings her girlfriend home(“let me introduce you to my gay dad”). The play conveys a multitude of messages wrapped up in a tale of a single family.