Lady Astros Prepare for Upcoming Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Astros Prepare for Upcoming Season

(Photo by Shepard)

(Photo by Shepard)

(Photo by Shepard)

(Photo by Shepard)

Gavin Quinlan, Staff Reporter

The Alan B. Shepard girls varsity team is looking to make a run this year at being the best team in the SSC red conference.

The team has established that they want to win conference, be better than last year, and finish the season with a winning record for the first time in over eight years.

Coach Rick Gamino says the team is looking pretty good this year, “We have a good understanding of our offense and defense. The team chemistry through the first two weeks of practice has been real good.”

The whole team is what makes this team so special. “I think they are all key players that will have different roles on the team,” said coach Gamino, “The better we know and accept our roles, the better our team will be.”
This years team has three returning varsity players from last year. Senior Mackenzie Jasudowicz, Senior Danielle De Los Santos, and Sophomore Gianna Spain.

“We believe all three of them will have a large impact for our team this year.” Said coach Gambino.

The team has a bunch of strengths and they really get together.

“I think our team chemistry is a big strength. Our team genuinely enjoys each other and they push each other to work harder.” Said coach Gambino.

This years team has a lot of leaders on and off the court and have really came together within the first two weeks.

The girls stay motivated by setting high standards for themselves throughout the whole season.

“We have set high standards for ourselves. We have worked real hard to develop consistent rituals to reach those standards.”  Said coach Gambino, “Basketball is a long season, we have to stay focused on the task at hand for each day whether that be during practice, film watching, or game day.”

The first game of the season took place on November 19th, the girls captured the Win against Chicago Ag to start the season 1-0.

The girls then played in the Richards thanksgiving tournament from November 20-23. The girls went 1-1 in the tournament. The Astros overall are 2-2. The team has no big game this year, the girls are always focused on the next game.