Prom Takes to the Road

By Gavin Quinlan and Alex Muhammad 

Staff Reporters

One milestone in every high school senior’s life is the senior prom. It is nearly universally looked forward  to by seniors. It is a chance for one last dance quite literally and figuratively. It is that last hurrah  before they graduate. It is their last get together as a whole class.
This year’s prom will have a much different venue. For Alan B. Shepard High School prom has recently been held at Crystal Gardens at Navy Pier. According to prom sponsor Juan Cruz it has been at that location since the 80s.

This year the prom festivities will be held at The Palmer House Hotel.
The change came as a shock to the many seniors in the class of 2020 considering Navy Pier is one of the most popular places downtown. Students are very familiar with the landmark Ferris Wheel. It provides a beautiful background for Chicago’s amazing skyline.

The Palmer House Hotel is located 17 E. Monroe in the heart of downtown Chicago.

Cruz is the man behind all the prom organization.
The ever popular Señor Cruz explained that the move came down to saving money for the students.
Prom got moved to the
Palmer House this year due to the increasing prices at Crystal Gardens.
“Over the last few years, Crystal Gardens been raising prices and offering us less and less. Finally, we had to
look for a new venue in hopes of being able to offer the seniors the best prom possible.” said Cruz.
Not only has Crystal Gardens been raising prices but some students have felt that the food has not been as good as it was in the past according to those that have attended in recent years. .
Cruz thinks the move could pay dividends.“Sometimes change is good. said Cruz. “We are hoping to offer a new
experience to our seniors this year with a delicious menu. That was starting to suffer recently at Crystal Gardens.”
The new experience can be a great thing for seniors this year. They could be the first ones starting a new tradition
for Shepard by being the first Shepard class to attend the Palmer House Hotel since the 80s.
The decision to move locations has been made for a while and the new people at the hotel are very friendly and
great to work with.

“The hotel is very accommodating,” said Cruz. “We visited the hotel last spring and made the decision shortly
after.”
The new establishment for prom can be a good thing or a bad thing. Many seniors won’t get to experience what
many past seniors have gotten to experience, but this year’s class has the chance to rewrite history and start
something new for future seniors going to prom.