Astros Bowlers Advance to Sectionals

Photo by Google

Photo by Google

Manny Rodriguez, Staff Reporter

The Alan B Shepard bowling team has done really well this season. They finished the regular season with 10 wins and 7 losses. The Astros finished fourth in the South Suburban Conference Red division.

“A couple of members really showed some improvement from last year,” coach Simeon Shama said.” Junior Nick Musilek was one of our top bowlers last year and still increased his average by ten pins from last year. Junior Justin Hogan, has also shown very good progress and really stepped up to help us advance out of Regionals.

Sophomore Aidan Castor, who we moved up to varsity for Regionals and Sectionals really did a great job at Sectionals for us.

Conference was 1/11/2020 at Elmar Bowl.  The team came in 4th out of 7 teams. Sophomore Tyler Bartczak was the fifth overall bowler at Conference and earned All Conference honors this year.

Junior Nick Musilek was the number one overall bowler at the Oak Lawn tournament and earned All Tournaments honors.  Sophomore Tyler Bartczak was the fifth overall bowler at conference and earned All Conference honors this year. The team came in third out of 14 teams at Regionals and earned the opportunity to move on to Sectionals this year.

Regionals were 1/18/2020 at Centennial Lanes 2.0.  The team came in 3rd out of 14 teams at Regionals at Centennial Lanes in Tinley Park and earned the opportunity to move on to Sectionals this year.

Coach Shama was excited to talk about the outstanding players this season, “Our highest averaging player was junior Nick Musilek with a 207 season average and Tyler Bartczak was our second highest average with a 195 season average.”

When asked coach Shama about what are the bowling teams chances for the postseason he said, “We had a pretty good chance to advance out of Sectionals this past Saturday and make it downstate this year, but unfortunately one of our top players was ineligible and we struggled during Sectionals as a team. Sophomore Tyler Bartczak still had a great opportunity to make it downstate as an individual, but came up 42 pins short of that goal.”

Sectionals were 1/25/2020 at Strike and Spare II in Lockport. The team came in 12 out of 16 teams.  We were unable to advance as a team or individual to downstate.