Astros Bowlers Advance to Sectionals

Photo by Google

Photo by Google

Manny Rodriguez, Staff Reporter

The Alan B Shepard bowling team has done really well this season. They finished the regular season with 10 wins and 7 losses. The Astros finished fourth in the South Suburban Conference Red Division.

“A couple of members really showed some improvement from last year,” coach Simeon Shama said.” Junior Nick Musilek was one of our top bowlers last year and still increased his average by ten pins from last year. Junior Justin Hogan, has also shown very good progress and really stepped up to help us advance out of Regionals.

Sophomore Aidan Castor, who we moved up to the varsity for regionals and sectionals, really did a great job at at sectionals for the ream according to Shama.

Conference was held on January 11 at Elmar Bowl.  The team came finished fourth.

Sophomore Tyler Bartczak was the fifth overall bowler atcConference and earned all conference honors this year.

Other highlights included junior Nick Musilek finishing as the number one overall bowler at the Oak Lawn tournament and earning  All Tournaments honors there.

The team came in third out of 14 teams at regionals on January 18 at Centennial Lanes 2.0 in Tinley Park, earning them the right to move on to sectionals.

Shama was excited to talk about the outstanding players this season.

“Our highest averaging player was junior Nick Musilek with a 207 season average and Tyler Bartczak was our second highest average with a 195 season average, ” said Shama.

Sectionals were January 25 at Strike and Spare II in Lockport. The team came in 12 overall.   The team was unable to advance as a team or individual to downstate.