Hightower Goes Division 1

Photo of Matthew Hightower

Hector Gil, Staff Reporter

With their loss to Peoria in football, it marked the end of several talented Astros. Many of those will be taking their talents to the next level. 

Second year head coach John Rone has set the tone with seven college commits. 

Alex Harris, Darnell Maebane, and Thomas Smith have all committed to play at Mesabi Range Community College in Minnesota. 

Linebacker Grant Larkins will take his talents to Carthage College in Wisconsin. 

Elijah Vinson committed to play at Iowa Western a junior college powerhouse. 

D’angelo Silvar and Andrew Wright both will be playing for Robert Morris next year. 

For the first time in awhile Shepard Football has a Division 1 recruit. Matthew Hightower has signed to play at Tulane University in New Orleans. 

Coach Rone feels fortunate to have had the pleasure of coaching the talented Hightower. 

“His impact on our team extends beyond the field of play” stated Rone. “His near 20 tackles for a loss reflects the on field impacted but it reached beyond that.” 

Hightower used his visits to measure what he is up against.  Rone stated, “Matt being recruited by division 1 schools and making visits to those schools, allowed him to see first hand the type of athletes that make it to that level and what coaches at that level expect from their student athletes. Him knowing what it looks like gave our guys a reference point to look at and question how to reach there from a source outside of their high school coaches.”