Phun With Physics

Brian Sievers and his 31 students collected 17 garbage bags of trash

Emilie Bowman, Sports Editor

A hot, beautiful sun rests high in the sky reflecting off the water below while people all around enjoy their day at the lake when suddenly garbage washes onto the shore to crash the party.

Physics teacher Brian Sievers saw this mess during a canoeing trip at Maple Lake in Willow Springs and decided to talk to his students about the problem plaguing the environment. Sievers offered his students a chance to help out the environment near a beautiful lake while also getting community service hours for National Honors Society.

31 students spent their Sunday morning after homecoming with friends trying to improve the quality of the environment by picking up garbage along the shoreline. Students found everything from cans to plastic bags to beer bottles.

Students covered 60 acres of land and filled 17 garbage bags with waste. Near the end of their day, the group of juniors were offered $40 from a fisherman who saw them scouring the beach for trash but respectfully declined saying they were happy to help the world.

While the teens picked up debris from the beach, Sievers canoed along the shore so that he could keep a close eye on the kids and join in on the high spirited fun that came with doing a good deed for the world.

Both Sievers and the students were proud of the work they had done. “It seemed like a really cool thing to do. You’re helping the community and having fun spending time with friends,” said junior Sam Vander Weele.

“I wanted to instill something other than education in my students, I wanted to be a good role model and let kids know they can make a difference and being kind to the environment is the right thing to do,” stated Sievers.