The Addams Family on the Stage

The Addams pose for a family picture. (Photo courtesy  of Mary Kay Spindler.)

The Addams pose for a family picture. (Photo courtesy of Mary Kay Spindler.)

Angeline Schmelzer, Editor-in-Chief

They’re creepy and they’re kooky. The Addams Family. *Snap, Snap. *

Musical director Michael Fallon is proud of this year’s cast. “They all did a great job of bringing their characters to life and maintaining their characters.”

According to Fallon establishing and maintaining roles is a mature thing to do as a young actor. The students that played Morticia and Gomez Addams had to get into the heads of older adults and experience their child growing up.

“They did a good job with singing difficult music,” said Fallon. “It’s challenging for some young women to move from one part of their range to another part.”

Each year is a different show with new kids and a new story. “I try to choose a show that I know I have kids that will fill the major roles,” said Fallon. “I was surprised with auditions and pleased with the cast. Several of the leads were different than I originally thought at the end of last year.”

It’s always difficult doing the musical in the fall,” said Fallon. “There’s a lot of crossover with band, so rehearsal is very difficult to come by. Students took time out of their day to rehearse with each other.”

According to Fallon, he received comments saying that the Addams Family was one of the better shows.

The cast was excited to be part of the musical this year. Senior Elizabeth Correll said, “Getting to be in this year’s musical was probably one of the best experiences of my life so far.”

“I knew when I got casted, I was going to have to really work hard to conjure such a character as Morticia and tell her story,” said Correll. “I was so happy when every single one of the cast mates felt the same way and worked their butts off to tell the story. Everyone in the show was dedicated and ready to work at every practice. I was so proud of how hard we worked to put on the show and the applause at the end of the day made it all worth it. It was an amazing show with amazing people at every angle and I’m so happy with our success. I will definitely miss the cast of the Addams Family.”

Senior Faith Jeeninga played Grandma Addams. “This was the best show in the past four years,” she said. “We worked together really well and it was super fun to play the crazy grandma.”

Alan B. Shepard presented the Addams Family musical November 9-11. The following is the 2017 musical cast: Elizabeth Correll- Morticia Addams, Ryan Wyrobek- Gomez Addams, Wendi Levine- Wednesday Addams, Elizabeth Jeeninga and Trinity Zak- Pugsley, Faith Jeeninga- Grandma Addams, Nick Smeraldo- Lurch, Matthew Judd- Uncle Fester, Lucas Lowry- Lucas Beineke, Ryan Smith-Lesniak- Mal Beineke, and Alana Born- Alice Beineke.

Featured Ancestors included: Nick Brown, Aldo Duran, Otto Hartl, Anderson Kitsmiller, Avalyn Krastin, Alan Krolikowski, Eric Maty, Judi Levine, Erin Pierce, Cassie Schulist, Kaitlyn Shelton, Alex Spindler, Lemuel Talosig, and Lena Werner.

The Addams Ancestors included: Jillian Arnold, Cassadie Comiskey, Samantha Dell, Mia Halterman, Jacob Jeeninga, Katie Juarez, Paige Nowak, Bianca Onsurez, Skylar Post, Megan Ruger- Smith, Lexi Tischer, Chloe Turner, and Abdel Yassin.

The crew works behind the scenes to help make the show a success. This year’s student director was Leslye Romero, the crew chief was Abdel Yassin, and the stage manager was Priscilla Ramirez. Other crew personnel included: Lucas Ochoa, Paula Clohessy, Moriah Southall, Liam Rohan, Diego Noce, Destiny Carbajal, Sade Cook, and Julian Juarez.

A musical would not be complete without the music. The pit orchestra, conducted by Christopher Pitlik, included: Emily Paolini, Emily Correll, Jocelyn Jamieson, Abby Morgan, Eric Spindler, Zachary Chua, Cory White, Meghan Travis, Julian Ortiz, Max Merlo, Kenneth George, Christopher May, Marissa Carmenaty, Donna Meyer, and Noah Treat.

The Addams Family is a musical comedy that follows Wednesday Addams growing up and finding love. Gomez and Morticia must find a way to accept that and test their own love as well.