Show Choir Kills at Competiton

%28Photo+courtesy+of+Shepard%27s+Facebook+page.%29+
(Photo courtesy of Shepard's Facebook page.)

Emily Jordan, Staff Reporter

Show Choir had their very first competition of the season this past weekend, placing third against 11 schools total. Wendi Levine won the title of most outstanding performer in the school’s group. Show choir director, Michael Fallon, stated that they did one place better than the previous year and were not far behind the first place winners. He explains that despite the lack of a complete show, with no costume change, they still placed to the delight of the team.

Fallon stated, “We did a good job for as prepared as we were. We lost two and a half weeks of rehearsal and started a week later than normal. Given the amount of time we had to prepare, we did well and came a long way.” Fallon is working towards improvement for the next competition. He elaborated that there was a lot of positive feedback from judges that they will begin to work to improve upon.

Junior Ryan Wyrobek also stated “For every show choir competition it’s fun seeing our hard work come together. We’ve been practicing for a whole semester and getting to present our show to other schools and judges is an indescribable experience. One of the coolest feelings is hitting the final pose and hearing the applause.”

During a typical competition day, the team meets at the school around six or seven am to first run the show. Fallon said that they pack up the truck afterwards and travel, and depending on what time they get there; warm up, set up, and perform. Soloists included Alan Krowlikowski, Kaitlyn Shelton, Adrian Olivares, and Lucas Lowry. Fallon will pick four different people for each competition.

Show Choir also toured the junior highs last week, and Fallon stated it was “fun, but a pain in the neck to set up. The kids are positive and love going back to see old teachers.” “We’d love to have people come see us on April 6 and 7 for our showcase. It features solos, small group numbers, and more contemporary songs. It’s super cool to see your peers doing things you had no idea they were capable of.” Fallon concluded.