A Little Bit of Germany

Emilie Bowman, Sports Editor

A Little Bit of Germany but a lot of excitement! Since 1985, Alan B. Shepard High School has been part of an exchange program with Goethe Gymnasium Germersheim, a school in Germany. Every two years, the schools partner up and send students back and forth to expose them to different cultures and lifestyles.

A Little Bit of Germany is hosted by the school to raise money for the upcoming trip across the ocean. Through ticket sales, raffles, food sales, t-shirts, and split the pot, the German Club raised $3,771 to fund their upcoming trip to Germany in the summer of 2020.

Students participating in the event were expected to help with the setup and teardown of the different stations along with helping and mingling with the senior citizens that join in on the event.

Food for the event was either purchased or donated by businesses in the area. Jack n’ Pats Butcher Shop in Chicago Ridge provided bratwursts and the bread comes from Breadsmiths and Doughs Guys. Ingredients for the homemade food was purchased from GFS and culinary teachers Daniel Solski, Shepard, and Robert Staudacher, Richards High School, had their students make some of the food for the event during class.

Shepard German teacher Jennifer Fischer took over the program in 2010 and has had an incredible time running it, “My favorite part of A Little Bit of Germany is seeing how happy the senior citizens are to be there. So many people really have a great time and I love seeing all the smiles and happy faces.”

Students also love the many things that A Little Bit of Germany has to offer. Senior Alex Spindler loves the lederhosen that he gets to wear, while Brooke Pieroth likes that the event gives such an intense glimpse into the German culture.

Senior Reiner Mahler enjoyed the ambience, “The music is fun to sing along to and to raise your glass of too.”