Teen Sleep Habits

Bradley Fox, Editorial Editor

These days, teenagers are always cheating themselves out on sleep and this is not a habit that people, especially teenagers, should be falling into.

One of the largest reasons for this includes the fact that teens have very active school lives and they put a large amount of stress on themselves, especially as they are being pushed to take the most challenging classes, and to succeed in these classes as they prepare for their life after high school.

Everyone knows that teenagers love playing video games and can’t seem to get enough of it, this is something that cuts into the amount of sleep they get each night.

Teenagers also have very active lives outside of their video gaming world as well and despite the fact that there are overly busy with just their schoolwork alone, they add extracurricular activities on top of everything else too. Despite all they have on their academic plate, they still are able to make time to hang out with friends.

Something has to give here as human beings cannot do anything and everything and still be able to function properly. There are just not enough hours in a day.

All these things enable them to be prone to only receive about five to six hours of sleep each night. This is very unhealthy for people, especially teenagers, because sleep is so important for the overall health of a teenager on so many levels.

Benefits of getting proper sleep include improved memory which may help in getting that “A” in Chemistry that one may have been striving for. Sleep enables young minds to start thinking more creative. It improves memory, and it may just also help you live longer as well as improving a person’s outlook on life.

Other benefits include lower stress and depression levels, as well as, a more sharpened attention span.

Adolescence is the most pivotal portion of a child’s development and it’s the time in which they are growing the most and where their body matures. Being able to just function properly in their life is the reason why sleep is so important.

Teenagers need to collectively find new ways to use their time in the best way possible to maximize the amount of time they have available in a day to get accomplished what they want to accomplish but still manage to put in eight hours of sleep per night.