Boys Swimming

Jason Krause, Staff Reporter

As the boys swim team come back from a very strong winter break, after having four hours of practice every day, they are looking forward to their upcoming meets. Coach Tricia Biedron states, “During these practices they are doing cardio, running, core/ab, yoga, and of course swimming. The four hour practices allow swimmers to increase their yardage, push their bodies, and gives them hope in dropping their times.” As Biedron said, this helps the team not only benefit in speed but it also makes the team bond and come together as one.

Of the 30 or so swimmers some key swimmers this year are seniors, Jaden Anderson, Patrick Gannon, Jeremy McGrath, and Jacob Wolniak. As well as a couple juniors, Anthony Amant and Brandon Herrera. Finally, quite a few sophomores have made their way up to varsity including, Mark Frye, James Greene, Evan Jamrozy, Josh Kingzette, DJ Mitchell, Anthony Muller, Eriq Perez, Kevin Rodriguez, Jackson Sima, Joe Waynauskas and Joe Wolniak. A couple of these students hold school records, these simmers are two of the four all conference 200 free relay back and they are Joe Wolniak and Jaden Anderson.

The team is off to a great start as they have placed first in their recent meets against Evergreen Park and Oak Forest. Although they placed 11th at the Riverside Brookfield invite they are not feeling discouraged as they are looking most forward to our Shepard invite. “They feel comfortable in our pool and really enjoy competing with many of the teams there” Biedron stated.

This past weekend the swim team had their conference meet. With Jaden Anderson, Anthony Amant, Eriq Perez, and Joe Wolniak placing third in their medley relay, and Anderson placing 2nd in his 100 meter backstroke the Astros were able to place fourth overall. Sectionals will be held in two weeks, February 17th.

Overall the boys are off to a great season and are looking to continue this great season. With only a few more meets left the Shepard swim team is looking to finish on top!